Monday, August 31, 2009

Ponyo... or as Ty says it, "ONYO!"

For everything there is a first. And for Ty, yesterday marked his very first trip to the movies, the theater, The Theatre, the big screen. For two consecutive weekends, Sylvester and I went to the movies, an unheard of occurence, and after enjoying two date nights, I thought it would be fun to treat Ty to an afternoon out at the movies.

Sylvester had his reservations about taking a two-year-old to the movies, but I assured him that I believed Ty was old enough and had a sufficient attention span. I convinced him that it was a good idea... however, if there were meltdowns, I was sure to hear at least one "I told you so."

As the special day approached, we checked Fandango for movie listings to make our selection. I really wanted to see Up, but it was only showing in Kaysville, and I was informed that "we aren't driving all the way to Kaysville to see a movie." We decided to see Ponyo, which we didn't know much about. The night before the movie, Ty and I watched a couple of trailers for Ponyo. I asked him if he wanted to see the rest of the movie, and he said, "No thanks."

Luckily, Ty changed his tune the next day and was quite eager to go somewhere, anywhere, without his little sis. I wanted the day to be special and really put the focus on Ty, so I enlisted the babysitting skills of Grandma Yae, and we left Mya as we embarked on our outing.

Turns out, we loved Ponyo! It was such a cute movie! Ty was mesmerized the entire time! We had our giant bucket of popcorn, our gallon of fruit punch, and (ssshhh) we snuck in a few treats... we could've stayed there all day! And when the movie ended, Ty looked up at me and asked, "Again?" And I didn't do it, but I could've turned to Slyvester and said, "I told you so!"

Here is Ty today, dressed as Sosuke holding his bucket with Ponyo inside... sans water, sans a real Ponyo.

2 comments:

Nate Wendt said...

I'm glad you liked Ponyo. It has been out here for quite awhile and my boys love it. I have yet to watch it in English but maybe someday I will. Miyazaki Hayao (the director) is a great creator of kids stories like Howl's Moving Castle and Totoro.

Naomi Carmen Witcher said...

how cute! my kids love going to the movies, i think i took them the first time when i was still nursing isabelle. by myself. can you imagine?