We have a friend who has an apple orchard, and we were lucky enough to be invited to join in a day of apple pickin' and pressin'. For those of you who have never pressed your own cider before and are wondering what I am talking about, you begin by picking all of the apples, plums, and/or grapes you'd like to have in your cider. Then you toss them into the apple press, which basically grinds them up into a pulpy mess. Next, you move the bucket forward so you can use the "vice" or piston to squeeze out every last drop of liquid from the fruit. And there you have it, delicious cider! Here are a few pictures of the day's events.
We started off the day by heading over to the grapevines. Despite my coaxing, I couldn't get Ty to pick bunches of grapes,
instead he chose to pick them one by one...

Once we had a small basket of grapes, we moved on to apple picking.
Ty loved climbing in the trees!



All of that climbing around in the trees was pretty tiring.
So we took a break to refuel with...
no, I know you want to guess apples,
but you're wrong. We ate COOKIES!
Before we got back to work, we had to pay tribute to the wonders of dirt. Can you find Ty in the photo below?
Finally we'd gathered enough fruit to fire up the apple press.
We rinsed off all of the fruit,
and then began dumping it into the press.




Ty gets really helpful adding an apple in to be pressed.

Mmm, pulp.

















2 comments:
this sounds like tons of fun, but also work. i would love to do something like this sometime. how much cider did you get to take home?
That looks like a blast, I sure wish I could do something like that. Could fun and learning for the kids.
Post a Comment