Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ty's Birthday

Today, Ty turned three!
Usually he wakes up around 6:30 and comes to our room to wake me, but this morning, he slept in. Before Sylvester went to work, we went in to Ty's room and sang Happy Birthday. He rolled out of bed with his coif in disarray, and wobbled out of his room, and then began singing to himself as he got his trainset chugging around the track (customary morning routine).

Here is Ty trying to contort his fingers to show how old he is.


The train tracks that have provided hours and hours of entertainment... speckled with a little frustration.
(The cardboard is a makeshift tunnel.)

As I got Mya out of her crib, Ty pleaded with me to come play, so I plopped down on the floor beside the train tracks and multitasked: feeding Mya and playing with the choo choos at the same time. Breakfast was not a priority for the birthday boy, and I couldn't pull him away from his trains until after 9:00. I was planning on making a supremely delicious breakfast: pancakes, eggs, bacon, or maybe French toast or an omelet. But by request, I ended up making... cereal.


Not the most flattering angle for Mya. She was so cute though; she just loved that it was Ty's birthday, and she was beaming from ear to ear.



A few weeks ago, Ty had all (and I do mean all) of his toys confiscated for refusing to pick them up. Slowly he has been earning them back, but as it was his birthday, I decided to let him pick a few toys. We went down to the basement, where I'd been storing his stash, and he selected several toys to bring upstairs. It was like Christmas morning! He played and played with all of his newly acquired toys and it was a very easy morning for me!

Ty building a slide and stairs for his Noah's Ark animals.

Above, the hippo ate some bad grass and was being rushed to the hospital. Not the smartest hippo either, because it continued to repeat its mistake and took several ambulance trips to see the doctor.

Despite the temperature drop, Ty still declares that he is hot and asks us to remove articles of his clothing. After I removed his shirt, he played for about two minutes, and then said he was cold, went to his room and grabbed a blanket, came back and curled up on the couch.

What birthday would be complete without a visit from Grandma? Originally, we had planned to go to The Treehouse Museum or the Union Station to see the trains, but once Ty opened his present (a Thomas the train toy) there would be no outting. So we just stayed home and watched Ty play!

Still working on showing how old he is...

Hooray! Finally at the end of the day, he got to blow out his candles and eat some of his train cake. Plus, Dad brought home a present for Ty (another Thomas train and a brand new Thomas track!) So exciting!

3 comments:

Naomi Carmen Witcher said...

happy birthday ty!!! good idea about confiscating his toys. i might have to pick that one up...

Nate Wendt said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun birthday for a 3 year old, they basically just want to play with toys all day. Ty would have a blast in Japan with all the trains everywhere. I am glad you officially survived the "terrible two's".

The San Diego Mills said...

Loved this post! He's so cute! It looks like a very nice and relaxing birthday! I was also looking at some of the posts below and love your mom in the picture of you guys eating at her house. She looks like she wants to take the fork and stab you through the eye with it for taking her picture! Also the pictures of the 2 kids together are so adorable! Hope that all is going well for you guys!