Friday, December 19, 2008

Seven Weeks...

We went to our first prenatal appointment on Wednesday, and sure enough, there's a baby in there! (Although he/she looks remarkably more like a kidney bean.) We were pleased to see the baby's heart beating, and learn that our expected due date is August 1st. Poor planning leaves me dreading a sweltering, swollen summer!

Fetal Development (7 weeks):

My baby is tiny but growing fast! He or she is the size of a small bean - about half an inch long - this week and if I could see inside myself, I'd find my baby has an oversized head in proportion to its body. His or her facial features are still forming, its eyes are just black spots, there are little openings where the nostrils will be, and pits to mark the ears. Protruding buds that will become arms and legs are more noticeable now, and the hands and feet look like tiny paddles. I can't hear it yet, but its little heart is beating about 150 beats per minute (or roughly twice the rate of mine.)

3 comments:

Naomi Carmen Witcher said...

that's right around the time i was due with isabelle. it wasn't too bad going through the summer pregnant, just make sure your air conditioning is working! and plan to be inside a lot.

i am so excited for you!

Nate Wendt said...

August is awesome! Mine and Natsuko's b'day's are the beginning of August and our second child, Tatsu, was the end of August. I hope you don't have any morning sickness.

Erin said...

Thanks for your words of encouragement! So far I have some mild morning sickness mixed with a couple of really nauseaus days. I take heart knowing that most morning sickness subsides after the first trimester... I'm almost there!