Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One More Political Blog

Recently two of my friends posted blogs about Proposition 8, this was my response: I am not naive enough to think that what I have to say here is going to change anyone’s mind, but I do think that it is my responsibility to voice another opinion. People who oppose Proposition 8 are in the minority here in Utah, so here is the other side of the coin: Everyone keeps saying that Proposition 8 doesn’t take away gays’ rights, but it does; it takes away their right to marry who they love, it also takes away certain marriage rights and benefits such as tax benefits, estate planning, social security for spouses. Until 1967 biracial marriages were illegal and not recognized. I am the product of a biracial marriage, and am, myself in a biracial marriage. To have that right not recognized by my government is wrong. Currently married gays in CA would be affected if Prop 8 passes; it would mean that their marriages would be annulled. Think about that! What if a pending law could force your marriage to be dissolved? How would that affect you? Your children??? What would you do? Proposition 8 is discrimination, and I don’t want discrimination written into the constitution. That is not progressive thinking, that is not what America is about! AND I THINK THAT IS THE MORAL FIBER THAT HOLDS OUR CONSTITUTION TOGETHER! Allowing gays to have their rights upheld does not diminish a straight couple’s marriage. In this brief time we have here on earth, we will inevitably be faced with adversity, and I hope that we can all learn to embrace it... even if we don’t understand it, and that we will not make decisions that will ultimately harm others. The thing about discrimination is that someone is always on the losing end... what if next time it’s you?
"Like freedom of speech and freedom of religion, the freedom to marry the person you love is an essential part of what it means to realize the promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Prop 8 would also write inequality into our state Constitution, undermining our State’s guarantee of equal protection under the law—a core part of our Constitution." ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union)



For more information on this topic please visit:
http://www.noonprop8.com

2 comments:

Naomi Carmen Witcher said...

Thanks, Erin for sharing all your thoughts on this issue on my blog as well. I am glad to see the other side of this issue as well, though I am still in support of proposition 8, you know my thoughts on the matter.
hope we are still friends.... just kidding, i wouldn't think for a minute that this could change anything about us being friends. ;)

oh, and i am still working on my response to why we are mccain supporters, haven't forgotten about that.

monika said...

I’m going to follow in your footsteps actually, and don’t be offended, but I have to say something here.

First of all, love ya girl, and I do agree that people who choose to share a household, gay or not, should be entitled to some tax benefits and legalities that are necessary. However, I do not believe gay marriage should be recognized or encouraged. It is quite different than an inter-racial or inter-faith marriage. There will always be prejudices and ignorant people, that’s just human nature, but equal rights for men and women of all race and religion are now given to all citizens of America. People take their time to wrap their minds around some things and take action. However, gay marriage is not something to be considered lightly. I know you have some doubts about God, but I truly believe marriage is ordained of God and should only be shared between a man and a woman.

Being gay may be a genetic temptation to some, it may simply be a “cool” choice to others to experiment with, but it is still wrong in the eyes of God to act on homosexual feelings. It is unnatural. Think to the future. What would our nation or world be like if we allowed gay people everywhere to be married and accepted as married couples? I love Ellen just as much as the next person, but what will our children think is acceptable in their lifetimes? How will they define gender? How will they differentiate between gay sex acts, and pornographic sex acts, or sex abuse? Where do you draw the line? Have you ever talked with an actively gay person and seen peace or true joy in their eyes? I think they are kidding themselves into something that does not bring true happiness. Most gay couples that I know and love are also suffering from severe illnesses: STDs, HIV, AIDS or are severely sick because they are catching every little cold due to their immune systems being weakened. These illnesses come because gay sex and sex abuse are unnatural. Viruses and infections are occurring because God never intended for a penis to go up an ass. Sorry to be graphic, but I would tell the same thing to the face of my gay or philandering friends…I love them, but I do not condone their actions and I do not believe they should make a mockery of marriage.

Without a right and a wrong everything becomes gray area. How can we instill values in our children when there is no right or wrong? There is a right and a wrong. There are consequences to actions. Each nation has followed the same pride cycle. Here’s how it goes:

People are righteous, doing good to others and are prosperous. They then develop pride and arrogance. Laws begin to be compromised and broken. Violence and debauchery are rampant. War and often famine ensue. People are brought to repentance and humility (through war, loss of possessions, starvation, or natural disaster). Then it starts all over again. Rome was the nation of our world to last the longest – 500 years before their fall from pride and sin. America has lasted 230 years so far. How much longer can it last when our nation is filled with debauchery and we are divided against ourselves? We have homosexuals, heterosexuals, democrats, republicans, Christians, atheists, lovers, haters…our nation is falling because we have lost our roots. We are failing to recognize God in our lives and keep his commandments. God is the very fiber of our constitution. I believe He had a hand in writing it...so that we could establish a free country in the Americas where His gospel could be taught.

There is no order in our country because people are throwing by the wayside laws and rules one after another. Our schools are not lacking funds or good teachers, they are lacking students whose parents instill in them the values of right and wrong from an early age and enforce rules and consequences in their homes. The success of our nation lies in our homes. It is what we do and teach here and show our children that will bring success to our nation and hopefully the world. I’m not saying gay marriage is the stumbling block upon which our nation will fall, I’m just saying it’s a piece of the pie. And if we don’t draw the line somewhere on the utter chaos that’s ensuing, we will soon have no America.

That’s all I have to say. I hope I didn’t offend you because you’re a dear friend, but I had to share my thoughts with someone.